PackLite Max 2-in-1 Phone Charger
One of the most interesting and useful preparedness products to come along in a while is most certainly the ones being made by the folks over at LuminAid. If you haven't seen their work and you are serious about Emergency Planning, then you need to see their products.
Having been customers of theirs since they started, we were thrilled when they contacted us to do a review of their newest product: the PackLite Max 2-in-1 Phone Charger. We've had a few weeks to play with it now, and think we have a pretty good feel for how it will integrate into our Bug Out Bags.
PackLite Max 2-in-1 Phone Charger Review
LuminAid has been making these inflatable solar LED lights for a few years now, so they've gotten pretty good at it. They have made a big and important upgrade with the PackLite Max by adding a USB charging port for other devices.
This is a big deal, because having devices which perform multiple functions are desirable for portable emergency kits. This allows you the ability to have backups for key categories, in this case lighting and device charging.
The main purpose of the PackLite Max is, you guessed it, to provide light. In this case we are talking about a non-directional area light. The PackLite uses a high efficiency LED light which it diffuses through the opaque PVC which houses it. This efficiency is what provides the 150 hour run time, and the diffusion helps spread the light around to a broader area for greater coverage.
The secondary purpose of the PackLite is use as a backup battery for USB powered devices. A 2000mah battery is integrated into the light, and is used for both the LED light and the charger. 2000mah is about enough to give an iPhone about 75% recharge. One nice feature is the the high 2 amp output of the USB port, which enables faster charging for those devices that can make use of it.
What else makes the Luminaid PackLite Max useful for our purposes? A couple of reasons.
- The PackLite is waterproof. That makes it more durable then other electronics that aren't, and especially helpful in flood or heavy rain situations. They also float.
- It is self sufficient, meaning it can charge itself back up assuming it gets enough sunlight on its panel.
- The design allows the Max to transform from a compact square into a big bright area light. That adaptability is important when were talking about something we might need to carry around.
- Push Red Button for TURBO, High, Medium, Low, and Flashing settings
- 150 lumen output on Turbo mode for 3-5 hours
- 50 hour max run time on Low Mode
- Two ways to recharge: 1-2 hours by micro USB or 12-14 hours by built-in high efficiency solar panel
- 5V USB output port with a fast charging output of 2.4 Amps
- Built-in 2000 mAh battery has enough capacity to recharge most cell phones 100% and give your tablet a boost
- Use in any weather: it's waterproof, floats, and can be submerged up to 1 meter deep (IP67)
- Dimensions approximately: 6" W x 6" L X 1" H (flat) / 6" x 6" x 6" (inflated)
- Product is 100% PVC-free and all components are lead-free and RoHs compliant
Where to get one:
If you buy anything with the links we provide on this page we get a small percentage of the sale. For more info click here.
Typical Price: $50
Lighting and phone-charging all in one
Always be prepared with a compact solar lantern and phone charger. The perfect size and capabilities for when you’re exploring the great outdoors, preparing your home and family for an emergency, or having a fun-filled outdoor evening in the backyard.
Forget the batteries and stay safe in the dark, all with the power of the sun.
Buy direct from: LuminAid.com
Or grab one on Amazon.com