Get Home Bag
Duration: 24 Hours
Away From Home Emergencies: Storms, Tornado, Power Outage, Flood, Biological, Radiological, Chemical, or Terrorist Incidents
Must Have Gear:
Water, Food, Clothing, Lighting, Fire Making, Weather Protection, Visibility Gear, Games or Distractions, Maps, Sleeping Kit
Once you have your Everyday Carry ready put it into a small backpack which you can keep in the trunk of your car, under a seat, or in a drawer in the office. This Get Home Bag should cover you for a 24-hour period. It should provide you with water, food, protection against an outbreak or harsh environment, and a change of clothing. It will also help if you need to spend the night somewhere unexpectedly such as the floor of a shelter or a bus station somewhere.
If you don't have a car, you can incorporate the items below into your Bug Out Bag. Your needs may be different depending on whether you are carrying kids around all day, so you may want to have another extra bag for their stuff with more water, snacks, and distractions.
In a scenario where you must walk during an evacuation, put your Bug Out Bag on your back, and then strap the Get Home Bag across the front of your body but putting your arms through the straps and have the pack resting against your stomach and chest. Not the best long-term solution but it keeps your arms free if you cant squeeze the items in the GHBs into your BOBs.
Typical Price: $29
Specs: This is an amazing pack with tons of features you wouldn't see until much higher prices. The best value we've seen in any pack. This can also make a fantastic BOB for most folks. The loops on the bottom are so handy and the strap design is perfect. One of our favorites.
Typical Price: $60
Specs: A strong mid-grade tactical pack that offers a ton of features and storage options. MOLLE attachments allow expansion outside if desired. Hydration pouch built-in. Capable of carrying a ton of gear, or cinched down if lighter loads are desired.
Typical Price: $129
Specs: See our full review here. A tactical pack in civilian clothing. MOLLE hides on the inside. Hydration bladder ready. Padded laptop sleeve. Lots of admin options. Very comfortable yolk-style straps.
Typical Price: $199
Specs: One of our favorite packs of all time. Incredibly well built: durable, excellent design, smartly laid out. Velco lining along the inside allows you to customize the layout as you see fit. Low profile colors keep people uninterested, especially the Bracken color.
What goes in it:
- Petzl Tikka+ Headlamp
- Baofeng UV5RA Two Way Radio
- USB Smart Charger Cable for BaoFeng
- Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Knife
- Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer
- Badger SPF 35 Sunscreen
- Lava Heavy Duty Hand Cleaner
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant
- Coleman Biowipes and Camper's Toilet Paper
- LifeStraw Go Water Bottle and 2-Liter Hydration Bladder
- 4 Snack Bars
- Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set
- A pair of socks, pants, shirt, and underwear in a compression sack
- Extra pair of prescription glasses and/or sunglasses
- Poncho (Nylon Rip-Stop)
- High Visibility Reflective Vest
- Cyalume Light Sticks
- SOS Emergency Food Bar
- Solar Charger 10000mAh Battery
- Rolling Fox Tarp 12' x 9'
- UST Jetscream Micro Whistle
- UST Marine Micro StarFlash Mirror
- Emergency Mylar Thermal Blanket
- Small paperback novel, playing cards, something to pass time
- Map(s) of local area
Upgrades / Additions:
- 100 Feet of 550 Paracord
- ESEE Izula Knife
- Pandemic Kit
- AMK SOL Emergency Bivvy
- UST SplashFlash LED Light
- Boonie Hat
- Work Gloves
- Waterproof Lighter